Seen and Not Heard

Children should be seen and not heard. Silence is a woman's best garment. Aren't proverbs great? But I'm done with being quiet.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Polygraph

The job I want, and have a tentative offer for, requires I pass a polygraph test. I see this test as one last thing that can stand between me and the job, but whenever I tell anyone I am nervous about it, they ask if I'm planning to lie.

Allow me to explain... Polygraph tests can't actually tell if you are lying or not.

Is there any evidence that the polygraph is really able to detect lies? The machine measures changes in blood pressure, breath rate, and respiration rate. When a person lies it is assumed that these physiological changes occur in such a way that a trained expert can detect whether the person is lying. Is there a scientific formula or law which establishes a regular correlation between such physiological changes and lying? No. Is there any scientific evidence that polygraph experts can detect lies using their machine at a significantly better rate than non-experts using other methods? No. There are no machines and no experts that can detect with a high degree of accuracy when people, selected randomly, are lying and when they are telling the truth.

So whether or not I intend to lie on the test really has very little to do with anything. And NO I don't intend to lie! I have nothing to lie about!

2 Comments:

  • At September 20, 2005 5:21 AM, Blogger Lord Runolfr said…

    A polygraph test is easy enough to pass if you just understand that it's based on a trick.

    I can tell you from reading informational sites how to pass one, but your polygrapher may deliberately fail you if he knows that you understand polygraph-defeating techniques. If you know how to beat the test, any results may be considered "inconclusive", which may be equivalent to a fail.

     
  • At September 20, 2005 7:06 AM, Blogger Tater said…

    I've been told that you can sing Row Row Row your Boat over and over in your head while they are giving the test and it will make it much smoother. I have a friend in Phoenix who did that for his.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home