Seen and Not Heard

Children should be seen and not heard. Silence is a woman's best garment. Aren't proverbs great? But I'm done with being quiet.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Did you ever manage to do the dishes?

It seems like a perfectly innocent question, doesn't it? But it's just an example of what my mother does to me every time we talk. You need a little more information to understand though.

Saturday, February 12 I was up at my parents, to wish a happy birthday to my father. While I was there, I mentioned that I had to do dishes at home, so The Fat Man could cook his Valentines Day feast the next day. It was an offhand comment, which my mother latched onto. I can't remember what she said that day, basically insinuated I never did dishes, to which I explained (as I have several times before already), that I do dishes almost every day.

She also managed to act horrified when I said how I often did dishes before dinner, so there were clean dishes to use, rather than right after dinner. She did her little smile and "eeeeeh" sound, that means, "you are doing things the wrong way, but you won't listen to me, and something terrible will soon happen to show you why you should do it the way I say."

Skip forward to last night. I call, say hi, and she asks, "Did you ever manage to do the dishes?"

Now... is that a bit insulting, or am I being thin skinned here. I mean, a whole week as passed, I've told her MANY times I do dishes almost every day. It was an offhand comment to begin with, along the lines of, "I should pickup toilet paper," or "I wanted to see that movie, I have to try rent it sometime." Something you say out loud to remind yourself, but don't really want, or need, other people getting involved with. Would you ask someone, "Did you manage to get the toilet paper," a week later?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home