Seen and Not Heard

Children should be seen and not heard. Silence is a woman's best garment. Aren't proverbs great? But I'm done with being quiet.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

"We will be."

So yesterday at 11:30am I gave my Indians a task. I told them to take lunch, and enter some specific data into the main report I do. This data takes me about 10 minutes to enter, it's mostly selecting specific data from a pivot table, and then copying and pasting that data into the report. There's a little more manipulation, and some simple math (addition) involved, but I figured they'd probably take an hour for lunch, and another 30 minutes to do the work.

The downfall of that plan, was that the task was given to 2 out of the 3 I've been training. The third is going to become the group's programmer, so spent the day working with our current programmer. The Indian programmer, Sharad, seems to be pretty sharp. He seems to be following my training quite easily, and was actually starting to get bored as I was repeating myself. The other two, Arun and Maheshwar, don't seem to be following so quickly. And this task fell to Arun and Maheshwar.

I didn't hear from them at all yesterday afternoon. At 4, I was going to ask if they needed help (although I'd told them to ask me any questions they had), but they weren't on IM anymore. Today I asked if they had managed to enter the data. The reply?

"We will be."

*blink* "Will be?" *blink*

So I did it. Not sure exactly what they were doing from 11:30am - 5pm yesterday... that better have been a damn good lunch.

1 Comments:

  • At August 17, 2005 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, a wonderful concept, teaching people something when you aren't there to look over their shoulders. Or find out where the hell they'd been for five hours. Put your track shoes on Tam, everyone is pulling for you to get another job soon, say before 5pm today.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home