Seen and Not Heard

Children should be seen and not heard. Silence is a woman's best garment. Aren't proverbs great? But I'm done with being quiet.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Trail Ride Postponed

Ikarus, or Mikey as Anna called him, was sick today, leaving Anna a horse short. So no trail ride for me. Gretsky had been promised to the other lady, the father and daughter were going to take turns on Wild Thing, Kaibab is in Alabama for the year, which left me with Domino!

Last week there was no lesson because Anna was off competing on Domino, and this week he had ribbons pinned up outside his stall.

I think Anna was originally planning to work on something specific, but Domino has a very big trot that takes some getting use to. Big like springy... not jarring like Kai, but defiantly not smooth like Gretsky. I mentioned before that I had to actually work to go up in posting trot on Gretsky. Well on Domino, I had to work to try get my butt back down on the saddle. The problem was, with being flung up from the saddle with every step, I felt the need to try hold on with my legs, which Domino figured meant I wanted him to go faster... When Domino's trot gets faster, it gets bigger and springier. I already have bruises forming on the inside of my knees, which I figured was at least a little better than hanging on with my lower legs (and going faster).

Last lesson I worked on getting a good strong working trot out of Gretsky, who was quite happy to shuffle along if I would let him. This week, I was trying very hard to keep the trot reasonably slow and manageable so I didn't grip, but as soon as I did grip, Domino thought I was telling him to go faster, which he was quite happy to do, and with the bigger, springier trot, it was even harder not to grip. By the end of the lesson I was doing a pretty good job, either that or Domino was bored, and doing a low energy trot (for him). But I got to feel like I'd gotten better, so it was good.

Next week I'm out of town, but after that we should be returning to a weekly schedule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home