Seen and Not Heard

Children should be seen and not heard. Silence is a woman's best garment. Aren't proverbs great? But I'm done with being quiet.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I'm Allergic to What?

That would be the question after this past weekend. The Fat Man cooked a delicious meal on Friday night for us and a friend. Shortly after finishing the meal, I began to feel like I had a bug bite on my back... I silently hoped my cat did not have fleas again, although I thought it was a little early in the year for that. Soon my arms began to itch too, and I noticed what looked like a bug bite on my wrist. I shifted to another chair, but the lumps kept growing... Finally I asked The Fat Man if I had some bites on my back, at which point we discovered it wasn't bites. My entire back was swollen with lumps all down my sides... I was having an allergic reaction. But to what? There was nothing in the meal we had not eaten before, and I find it hard to believe I was having a reaction to a new brand of chicken stock.

The next morning the lumps went down, but came back again in the afternoon. Luckily they were totally gone Sunday, or there would have been a trip to the ER. I just wish I knew what I shouldn't ever eat again.

1 Comments:

  • At March 03, 2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Lord Runolfr said…

    It might not be something obvious.

    Assuming it was the food, it could have been a preservative, an artificial flavor, or an artificial color. Even in the same brand of a product you've had before, that might have changed.

    It might also have been unrelated to the food. If you were eating at his house, then it might have been a cleaning compound that he used on the furniture or something else in the environment.

    Modern chemistry is enormously useful, but it can certainly have unforseen side effects. Isolating exactly what made you react could be a real chore.

    On an unrelated note: get thee and thy camera out to the horse arena!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home