Seen and Not Heard

Children should be seen and not heard. Silence is a woman's best garment. Aren't proverbs great? But I'm done with being quiet.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Lessons 16 and 17

I'll start with last week. I got to ride Domino, and I got to canter! Domino's canter, much like his trot, is big and springy. The movement of canter is easier to sit though, so as long as I kept my back loose, and moved with him, it was really fun.

Was still having steering issues though. Apparently, when I want to go right, I should be pulling the left rein more. If that makes no sense to you, join the club. If you understand, please share. It seems very counter intuitive to me.

This week I got to ride Gretsky again. After Domino, Gretsky's trot seems very small and stunted. He's also much harder to keep moving. But still a fun ride.

Gretsky

See his neck there? That's not what it's supposed to look like, and that's what we were working on the whole lesson (canter on Gretsky comes next week). The picture below is a little blurry, but that's closer to how he should be looking.

neck

Next week I should get to canter on Gretsky, and work on getting him give me his head... This week every time he looked like he does above, it was instantly followed by him tossing his nose in the air. Oh well, I'll get there.

2 Comments:

  • At October 10, 2005 10:24 AM, Blogger Lord Runolfr said…

    If you're neck-reining, it makes sense. If you're mouth-reining, I'm just as confused as you.

     
  • At October 10, 2005 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Im not sure what would be gained by pulling counter to your turn, I have been an instructor for many years and that sounds WRONG. As far as getting the head, first you have to relax your arms and hands so you are part of the horses natural movement, you cant fight and win. next is to ask politely, try stroking the reins with a few fingers every 3 or 4 steps, all the while giving him a bit of leg as if you are asking him to walk. I have always taught proper hand and head coordination before proper turns, sort of a you should get it right going ahead first then add complications of a turn. sugest you get and read Sally Swift's Centered Riding books

     

Post a Comment

<< Home