Seen and Not Heard

Children should be seen and not heard. Silence is a woman's best garment. Aren't proverbs great? But I'm done with being quiet.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Logic vs. Faith

I am an atheist. It's not that I am rebelling against god, or hate god, I just don't see anything to make me think there is a god. The Fat Man does believe in god, not really the Christian God, but some power greater than human. He does not really understand where I am coming from with my total lack of god, and I don't really get why he would want to insert a god into the world.

Today, we had a conversation about the nature of god, and I wasn't quite following.

Tam says:
heh, here's why this conversation is weird... you're going into it thinking there's a kernel of truth these things are based on... I'm going in thinking some random dude made the crap up, so it is the way it is, cause some random, non-special dude wanted it that way.
The conversation continued all day. We talked about faith and logic. Science and religion. Knowledge and truth. In the end, we sort of agreed to disagree.

The Fat Man says:
Because the only things I can know for certain is that I think, and I exist. Everything else I have to take on faith. An indefinable power existing is the only way I'm able to function without going stark raving mad.
Tam says:

Ok... you have your indefinable power, I have my belief that we can make sense out of the world. I'll give you that I have to take that on faith, I think the world has no meaning if you can't assume we can make sense of it.

I was going to try quote more than that, but there are pages of IM conversation I'd have to go through... That sums it up reasonably well.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home