Seen and Not Heard

Children should be seen and not heard. Silence is a woman's best garment. Aren't proverbs great? But I'm done with being quiet.

Friday, January 28, 2005

Diet Definitions

Diet:
diĀ·et1
n.
The usual food and drink of a person or animal.
adj.
Of or relating to a food regimen designed to promote
weight loss in a person or an animal: the diet industry.

I guess I think of the word diet as a noun. A diet is what you eat. If it's not working for you, you can change your diet. A diet is not something that is temporary, just to lose weight. You always have a diet, it just may not be one that is great for you.

I might think like that because I've never had to think about dieting. I'm a little over 5'10", and weigh about 130lbs. According to almost every "Ideal Weight" calculator I've seen, that puts me right at the bottom of what I "should" weigh. I've never tried to lose weight. I've never thought of my food in it's relation to how many pounds it could add. I'm pretty happy with the way things are.

The Fat Man's mother just started a new diet, the Weight Watchers "Core" plan, and she asked him to go with her. The Fat Man and his mother seem to have slightly different philosophies on what this new "diet" means. He doesn't want to think of it as a "diet." He thinks it should be a lifestyle change. He doesn't want to have to think about it except when he's shopping for groceries, or cooking and eating. She is telling everyone she can that they started the Weight Watchers program. I can only guess that's because she knows it will be harder for her to give up if everyone knows about it.

The Weight Watchers "Core" plan actually looks like a decent deal. It encourages you to eat healthy foods (fruit, vegetables, lean meat, brown rice, wheat pasta, ect), as much as it takes for you to feel full (but not stuffed). It also allows for you to eat anything else you want, but you only have so many "points" in a week with which to buy that extra stuff. The hardest part of the diet, at a glance, would be that bread, even whole wheat bread, costs you points. Two points per slice out of your 35 point/week allowance. That could make things difficult for sandwich lovers.

The one thing the "Core" plan does not cover is portion control. You are encouraged to stop eating when you are full, before you are stuffed. But other than that, you are allowed as much as you want of the approved foods. I would guess that is why this plan does not work for everyone, and often works slower than the traditional Weight Watchers point system, which strictly controls the number of calories you consume through the point system.

If The Fat Man does not get too frustrated with the concept of the "diet," I don't think he will have any problems keeping it. His mother is very enthusiastic about it right now, but if that enthusiasm wanes, her drive might falter.

The first meeting was Wednesday evening, and yesterday I searched diligently through the day for Weight Watchers recipes so we could enjoy a nice, filling, WW approved dinner together. I succeeded, but also managed to drive The Fat Man crazy by focusing on food all day long. The recipe worked, the rest of the goal, to ease them onto the diet without the "diet" being the focus, didn't work so well, as TFM's mom wanted to go over everything she'd eaten all day in detail. Different philosophies...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home